Mobile Art Association

The Mobile Art Association is the ideal organization for amateur and professional artists. With over 100 members, MAA provides numerous opportunities to network with and learn from fellow artists. 

Meetings are on the third Sunday of each month, from September through May, at the Springhill Presbyterian Church. The meeting includes a program to provide instruction, critique and/or "hands on" opportunities to help artists further develop their knowledge and skills. MAA provides a variety of venues to allow members to show their work, including a Spring Member Show, a Fall Juried Exhibition and opportunities to show work at local businesses. 

History of MAA

Mobile Art Association was founded in 1948 by a group of artists including Edmund DeCelle and William Bush. In its early years, MAA exhibited at the Mobile Public Library or in the Customs House in downtown Mobile. In 1965 MAA and WKRG-TV co-sponsored the first Outdoor Art Show. Paintings were hung on the fence that bordered Bienville Square.

Mobile Art Association organized the original Mobile Art Gallery, now the Mobile Museum of Art. In 1957, MAA began a fundraising project to construct the original building. Helped by matching funds from the City of Mobile, the new structure was dedicated in 1967.